Almost all human beings are confronted with negative thoughts every once in a while. Unfortunately, the number of people that have negative thoughts on a regular basis is continuously increasing. For some, negative thinking has even become a chronic habit. However, most of us pay little attention to these thoughts. What we do not realize is how destructive negative thought patterns can be. Not only does negative thinking decrease our confidence, but it also affects our mood and general outlook on life. The major problem, however, is that negative thinking can be self-fulfilling. By means of constant repetition, we gradually convince ourselves that we’re inadequate. Therefore, we become less confident and our behaviors in the outside world start to reflect our inner thoughts. Luckily, we can use the very same principles to our advantage. This can be accomplished by stating exactly the opposite with the aid of positive affirmations. So instead of entertaining negative thoughts that drag you down, you can use uplifting positive affirmations that give you strength and courage. Let’s explore how you can use the power of positive affirmations to affect profound changes in your life.
Affirmations come with a variety of benefits. They encourage us, for instance, to pay greater attention to the thoughts we choose to entertain. This helps us to become consciously aware of negative or destructive thinking habits. Even better, positive affirmations provide beneficial alternatives that we can use to replace negative thoughts with. In this sense, we can purify our thinking processes by means of using positive affirmations.
“Affirmations are our mental vitamins, providing the supplementary positive thoughts we need to balance the barrage of negative events and thoughts we experience daily.”
Affirmations powerfully rewire our brains. They allow us to restructure the very thinking processes that greatly influence our behaviors. In doing so, positive affirmations help us to develop faith in ourselves. They make us more confident in our actions. And therein lies the great power of affirmations: By restructuring our inner lives, we start affecting changes in the outside world.
What you think you become. So instead of talking yourself into believing that you are no good, start to introduce positive change with beneficial self-talk.
The Power of Positive Affirmations
Positive affirmations can be exceptionally beneficial. In the following, we’ll explore what affirmations are and how you can use them to transform your life.
Table of Contents
Let’s start with the basics.
The word ‘affirmation’ originates from the Latin word ‘affirmare,’ which means “to strengthen, to make steady.” In this sense, every thought we regularly entertain strengthens certain beliefs. In most cases, we are entirely unaware of this process. This, however, does not mean that we are unaffected from it. Quite the contrary is the case. The process of affirmation has a tremendous impact upon our lives.
If we do not pay attention to this process, it can work against us. We might subconsciously affirm negative beliefs that are unbeneficial. These negative beliefs might even cause us to self-sabotage our progress in life.
The subconscious process of affirmation therefore creates “inner truths” that shape the way we perceive ourselves and the world we’re living in. These “truths” do not necessarily have to be true. They might not even be based on valid facts. But we are deeply convinced that they are true, which makes them true in our perception of reality. And that’s why negative self-talk can cause so many problems.
Positive affirmations can help us to break free from this negative downward spiral. We can use these positive statements to effectively overcome the results of dysfunctional and negative thoughts.
Research on the subject of affirmations is unfortunately limited. However, there are certain studies that indicate the great power of positive affirmations. The application of positive affirmation has proven to be especially effective in increasing self-esteem and reducing depression levels. For instance, one particular study conducted by Northwestern State University in Natchitoches found one could increase self-esteem within two weeks by using positive affirmations. Other studies published by the University of Kentucky and the Journal of American College Health support the findings. The two latter studies highlighted that positive affirmation can be used to reduce negative thought patterns.
In conclusion, positive affirmations work. Various scientific studies have shown that affirmations are not only effective, but can also help you to increase self-esteem and reduce depression.
Positive affirmations can have a detrimental effect on the way we perceive ourselves and how we behave. But why is this so? Here’s how affirmations work.
Affirmations reprogram your thinking. By doing so, they help you to change your beliefs. This process replaces negative beliefs (and thinking patterns) with more beneficial ones. By means of constantly repeating positive affirmations, you train your subconscious to actually believe what you’re stating. Or to be more specific, the repetition trains your subconscious mind to believe that whatever is intended is possible to achieve. Therefore, positive affirmations establish a positive mindset about the accomplishment of your goals. And in doing so, they empower and give strength.
Before we have a look at various powerful affirmations, it’s important to gain an understanding on how affirmations are used. Simply having a huge list of positive statements will not do the trick. Instead, it’s necessary to know exactly how we can use affirmations effectively. The following will show you how you can make affirmations work for you.
When it comes to affirmations, repetition is key. Therefore it’s advisable to spend at least five minutes per affirmation. Speak the affirmation out loud and clear. Continue to read the statement out loud until five minutes have passed. After this, you can select the next affirmation that you want to impregnate your mind with. In general, it’s advisable to do this whole process three times a day (morning, midday and evening). The results will be even more powerful if you spend at least 30 minutes each day.
Another excellent trick to increase the effectiveness of affirmations is to look at yourself in the mirror while speaking. As a positive side effect, you can easily do this while shaving or putting up makeup. No time will be wasted!
But it’s also possible to write your affirmations down if you prefer this option.
The beauty of affirmations is that you can easily create your own. All it takes is to identify an area of your life that you’re not satisfied with. Create a list with all your negative qualities that you wish to transform. Be sure to include justified criticisms other people made of you. Remember that affirmations are meant to help you overcome negative thinking processes. For this reason, they should be positive, specific, relevant and short.
Once you’ve finished your list, prioritize the negative qualities. Start with those that you want to address immediately.
When writing your affirmations, it’s important to keep your statements in the present tense. By doing so, you factually declare what you desire to be already true. Secondly, it’s important that your affirmation remains positive. Do not use words such as “not,” “don’t” and “can’t.” The reason for this is simple: Our subconscious mind does not comprehend negations. It simply skips words such as “not.” This means that when you state, “I don’t want to smoke,” your subconscious interprets it as “I want to smoke.” Avoid this fatal mistake by focusing on what you do want to accomplish, not the problem at hand. Thirdly, it’s also important to include action in your affirmations. Use the statements to affirm yourself as someone who takes action.
The following presents a broad spectrum of different affirmations that can be applied in various kinds of situations.
The 30 Most Powerful Affirmations
1. I am the architect of my life. I am the creator of my reality.
2. I accept and love myself just the way I am.
3. I am supported and loved by God (or: the Creator/Universe/etc.)
4. I am surrounded by abundance.
5. I am healthy, energetic and optimistic.
6. I am overflowing with happiness, joy and satisfaction.
7. My body is relaxed. My mind is calm. My soul is at peace.
8. I am able to achieve whatever I desire.
9. I transcendent negativity.
10. I can achieve greatness.
11. Everything happens for a reason. Everything leads to something positive.
12. I am forgiving. My compassion replaces anger with love.
13. I am able to conquer all the challenges I am confronted with.
14. I am becoming more confident and stronger each day.
15. My potential to succeed is infinite.
16. I am becoming more knowledgeable and wiser with each day.
17. I am creative and bursting with brilliant ideas.
18. I am courageous and overcome my fears by confronting them.
19. I am at peace with my past.
20. I radiate love, happiness, grace and positivity
21. I am patient, diplomatic and tolerant.
22. I am grateful for the wonders in my life.
23. The universe supports me in every possible way.
24. Every experience in my life helps me to grow.
25. Today I lay the foundation for a wonderful future.
26. I am safe and protected by divinity.
27. I speak kindly of others.
28. Everything I seek can be found within.
29. I set myself free by forgiving myself.
30. I am significant. I contribute to the advancement of humankind.
Affirmations for Self-Esteem
31. I love myself and feel great about myself.
32. I accept myself unconditionally.
33. I see problems as interesting challenges.
34. I radiate confidence.
35. Challenges bring out the best in me.
36. I have confidence in my abilities and skills.
37. I make sound decisions.
38. I am bold and courageous.
39. I face difficulty with courage.
40. I am worthy of happiness and love.
41. My heart is always open. I am kind to every person I meet.
42. I am surrounded by love. I attract kind people.
43. I love unconditionally and without hesitation.
44. I deserve love. I am loved and appreciated by those around me.
45. Everywhere I go, I am accompanied by love.
46. Love, forgiveness and understanding is the very foundation of my relationship.
47. I give and receive love equally.
48. I accept my partner unconditionally.
49. I am treasured for who I really am.
50. My marriage/relationship is becoming stronger, deeper and more loving with every day.
Money and Wealth Affirmations
51. I attract money effortlessly and easily.
52. I continuously discover new avenues of income.
53. I am open to all the wealth life has to offer.
54. I use money to better other people’s lives.
55. I attract lucrative opportunities to create money.
Prosperity and Abundance Affirmations
56. I see abundance everywhere.
57. I am becoming more and more prosperous with every day.
58. Life takes care of all my needs.
59. My life is full of prosperity.
60. I deserve abundance and prosperity.
61. Every day I’m getting healthier.
62. I am full of vitality.
63. I take good care of my body and eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.
64. My body is a holy temple. I keep it clean and maintain its functionality.
65. I exercise regularly and strengthen my body.
66. My work/business makes a profound difference in this world.
67. I am building a successful business.
68. I create value with my service. My business is a gift to this world.
69. I am savvy about business.
70. Each failure has made me a better businessman/businesswoman.
71. The divine guides all my actions.
72. I am a spiritual being that is divinely guided.
73. I am in alignment with the universe.
74. God’s grace and love is working through me.
75. I see myself and the spark of divinity in others.
Affirmations for hope: When you feel hopeless
76. Everything leads to something better.
77. I am able to find positivity in every situation.
78. I am able to find optimistic ways of dealing with difficulties.
79. There is good to be found in every situation, even if I may not see it at the moment.
80. There is always another way. There is always a solution to my problems.
Affirmations for tranquility: When you are angry
81. I stay calm in frustrating situations.
82. I forgive others for their mistakes.
83. I forgive myself for all my mistakes, failures and shortcomings.
84. I let go of anger. It helps me to meet better decisions and see things more clearly.
85. Compassion and understanding help me to overcome anger.
Affirmations for calmness: When you are afraid or nervous
86. My intuition and inner wisdom guide me in every situation
87. Life always wants the best for me.
88. The challenges I’m confronted with are opportunities for growth.
89. Every time I exhale, I breathe out tensions and anxieties.
90. Every situation serves my highest good.
Affirmations for overcoming loneliness: When you feel lonely
91. I am a kind and unique person. I have a lot to offer in a friendship.
92. I enjoy my own company, it helps me to get in touch with my true self.
93. Solitude helps me rejuvenate.
94. I am at peace and happy when I’m alone.
95. I can always brighten another person’s day by doing something with them.
Affirmations for decision-making: When you feel unsure about a decision
96. My intuition and wisdom guide me in the right direction.
97. I have faith in myself. I am able to meet the best decision possible.
98. I have confidence in my decisions.
99. Even if I meet the wrong decision, it will always lead me somewhere positive.
100. I need responsible decisions and consider how they affect other people.
101. My friendships are meaningful, supportive and rewarding.
102. My friends love me for who I am.
103. I am accepting of others; it helps me to establish long-lasting friendships.
104. I attract positive people with whom I quickly make friends.
105. I surround myself with friends who care about me and treat me well.
Bedtime affirmations: When you can’t fall asleep
106. I feel wonderfully peaceful and relaxed.
107. I let go of everything that worries me. I will confront these challenges tomorrow.
108. My mind is at peace.
109. I fall into a deep and relaxing sleep.
110. I am feeling very sleepy and am ready to fall asleep.
Social affirmations: When you’re around people you don’t know
111. I feel relaxed and comfortable around other people.
112. I enjoy meeting new people. I even seek out others.
113. I am outgoing. I can enrich other people’s lives.
114. I’m excited about the amazing people I’m going to meet today.
115. I’m easy to talk to. I am confident when I’m around others.
Work and Career Affirmations
116. My job adds satisfaction and fulfillment to my life.
117. I am exactly where want to be. My career provides me the right opportunities to grow.
118. I am valued and appreciated at my workplace. My voice is always heard.
119. I ask for meaningful work and perform it with the greatest diligence and attention.
120. My work has a profound impact on this world.
Affirmations for the morning: When you don’t feel like getting up.
121. Today will be a fabulous day.
122. This day will bring me nothing but joy, fulfillment and happiness.
123. I have all it takes to make this day relevant.
124. I face the difficulties of this day with courage and endurance.
125. I am excited to see what the present day holds.
Affirmations to stop worrying about the future
126. I am optimistic about the future.
127. The future holds all kinds of pleasant surprises.
128. I trust in my ability to create a fabulous future.
129. I let go of worries and replace them with excitement, hope and optimism.
130. I have all it takes to make my dreams a reality.
Affirmations to get unstuck: When you feel stuck in life
131. New and exciting opportunities manifest in my life all the time.
132. I always find ways to get back on track.
133. I believe in my ability to set myself free.
134. I am in control of my life.
135. I believe in my ability to gain valuable insights from this situation.
If you’re feeling stuck in life, be sure to check out: 10 Powerful Ways to Unstuck Yourself.
Encouragement affirmations: When others don’t support you
136. I have faith in my ability to pursue my dreams no matter what.
137. My family and friends support me, even if they don’t share my dreams.
138. I help others to accomplish their dreams.
139. I have compassion when others don’t understand my dreams.
140. I have all the support and help I need.
141. I am successful in whatever I do.
142. Failure teaches me how I can become successful in life.
143. I leave no stone unturned to be successful.
144. I attract success.
145. I am pursuing my own definition of success.
Affirmations when you feel not good enough
146. I get better with each day. Practice helps me to attain greatness.
147. I believe in my ability to overcome drawbacks.
148. I replace unconstructive criticism with encouraging support.
149. Perfection can be found in all my flaws.
150. I always give my best and am a good-hearted person.
I hope this hand-picked collection of powerful affirmations has inspired you.
Positive affirmations can be incredibly powerful, if used correctly. However, we should not confuse affirmations with magic. Positive affirmations are simply statements that help you to effectively retrain your brain to think in a more beneficial and supportive manner. They allow you to cultivate the necessary mindset that helps you to accomplish your dreams.
Positive affirmations, however, do not free you from taking action. They are no magic spells that will instantaneously make all your dreams come true. Instead, they built the necessary foundation for success. Positive affirmations establish precisely those mindsets and beliefs that you need for living a life full of joy and happiness.
And that means that you still have to take action! And yes, you still have to do all the work. But you will accomplish far more if your actions rest on a rock-solid fundament of supportive mental thought processes. These kinds of positive thoughts will make the ride much easier for you. Even more so, positive affirmations can make the difference between giving up and continuing to pursue your dreams.
“You’re only as weak as you let yourself become, and you’re only as strong as you allow yourself to be.”